While movies continue to see a decline, gaming on the other hand has surpassed Hollywood as the world’s top entertainment industry. This is driven by the fact that as entertainment changes, so do the tastes of the youth.
Recognizing the increasing prominence of e-sports gaming among South Africans, VS Gaming was given the rights to host a FIFA eWorld Cup Qualifier in March after signing an agreement with EA Sports.
This year’s VS Gaming FIFA tournament hosted 1024 FIFA players at Monte Casino in Johannesburg. Over R1,5 million in cash up for grabs, with two champions from XboxOne & PS4 walking away with R400,000 each and a chance to play at the FIFA eWorldCup playoffs.
- 1st place: Shiaan Rugbeer [R400,000]
- 2nd place: Irshaad Mahomed [R150,000]
- 3rd place: Abu Akhalwaya [R75,000]
- 4th place: Khalid Fakie [R30,000]
- 1st place: Thabo Mike Moloi [R400,000]
- 2nd place: Zuhair Ebrahim [R150,000]
- 3rd place: Ziyadh Caasim [R75,000]
- 4th place: Mohammed Fiaz Mahomed [R30,000]
VS Gaming (formerly DGL), is a subsidiary of Telkom.